First Choice Custard Brulee
STEP 1 – Brulee
- 450ml First Choice Custard
- 50ml First Choice Cream
- 7ml cornflour
- 30ml First Choice Milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 5ml castor sugar
- Cook the Custard and Cream on stove, low heat, until heated up.
- In a separate bowl, mix the cornflour with milk and add to mixture.
- Stir well, then take off heat.
- In a separate bowl, mix the egg yolks and castor sugar well and add to custard mixture.
- Put back onto heat.
- Continue stirring until mixture boils and thickens.
STEP 2 – Pastry
This pastry is used to make delicate sweet tarts. It can be frozen for up to 3 months.
- 250ml Cake flour (140g)
- 2ml salt
- 65ml castor sugar
- 60g butter
- 2 egg yolks
- 2ml vanilla essence
- Sift flour and salt together.
- Add sugar and rub in butter with fingertips until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add egg yolk and essence and work into a firm dough. Knead pastry well until smooth.
- On a floured surface, roll out the dough to a thickness of 3mm. Line a greased, 24cm loose-bottomed flan tin.
- Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate for 1 hour. Prick base and bake blind in a preheated oven at 190 C (375 F) for 10 minutes.
- Remove paper and beans, then bake a further 5 minutes until pastry is golden brown.
- Allow to cool in pan before turning out onto wire rack to cool completely.
Make one flan case or 12 medium tartlets.
Tip: The food processor is ideal for making this pastry as it needs to be worked thoroughly into a very fine and crisp pastry.
STEP 3 – Assemble Custard Brulee
- Spoon Brulee mixture into Tart base / bases
- Sprinkle a layer of castor sugar onto each tart
- Caramelise the sugar with a blow torch before serving